Flossing can be a difficult and inconvenient task, especially when you have braces, but flossing with braces is extremely important, and we are happy to help you make flossing with braces much easier each day!
Your flossing technique won’t change drastically, but it will take a bit longer than your traditional flossing technique did, which is completely normal and definitely worth it. In order to properly floss, please perform the following five steps:
1. Thread one end of the floss underneath the main wire of the appliance.
2. Use your index fingers and thumbs and gently press the floss between your two teeth.
3. Slide the floss against the sides of each tooth and remove any plaque and food substances that are stuck there. This technique will help prevent tooth decay and gum disease in the future.
4. When the area is clean, pull the floss out from between the teeth and pull one end of the floss to bring it out from underneath the wire.
5. Repeat this process between each tooth but please remember to use a clean section of floss as you move from tooth to tooth.
When you first get braces, your orthodontist will give you the special tools and tips you need to properly floss your smile, and it will help make flossing much easier. If you have any questions or if you would like additional tips about flossing with braces, call our office now! We are here for you, and we are more than happy to help you.