Are you experiencing troubles with your braces? If so, we are happy to help you! We understand that braces can be irritating and inconvenient at times, which is why we have provided the following tips to give you a comfortable and successful experience:
• Broken bracket: If you have a bracket that is sliding back and forth along the wire, it is broken. If it is bothering you, please cover it with orthodontic wax to keep it from moving. If it is not bothering you, you can leave it in its place until your next appointment.
• Poking wire: If you have a wire that is poking you, you can protect your cheeks, lips, and tongue by placing orthodontic wax over it. If this doesn’t help and the wire keeps bothering you, you can cut the wire with fingernail clippers. Cut the wire against the next bracket it is attached to. During this process, pieces of wire might fall into your mouth. If this happens, please do not swallow it.
• Mouth sores and irritation: It is very common to have sores in your mouth when you have braces. To eliminate the irritation and soreness you feel, we recommend placing an orthodontic anesthetic, like Orabase and Ora-Gel, onto the area, which will numb it and promote healing.
• Loose or lost ligature: A ligature is the small rubber band that is wrapped around your bracket. If the ligature falls off or becomes loose, you can put it back into place with sterile tweezers. Please remember: if a ligature becomes loose or falls off, it is common that other ligatures might as well.
• Loose wire: If you have a loose wire, you can secure it into place with a pencil eraser or Q-tip. If this does not work, you can place orthodontic wax over it to keep it from irritating your mouth until your next appointment.
If you ever experience a severe or traumatic injury to the oral cavity, it is important that you call us as soon as possible. We are here to help you in any way we can, and we are happy to do so in a quick and efficient way. If you have any questions regarding the ways to make braces more comfortable, call our office today!